Critical Listening 1
Discover various listening methods used to dissect and analyze stereo mixes. Learn how to hear pieces of a mix without listening to the whole. For instance, hear the vocal reverb on Adele without hearing her lead vocal, or hear her vocal dry with almost no reverb or other instrumentation and add your own reverb.
Focus Topics Include:
- Listening 8 different ways to a stereo mix
- Using filters to further isolate elements
- L-C-R Mixing, both Vintage and Modern
- Analyzing “Hello” by Adele
- Analyzing “Learn To Fly” by Gallant
- Reviewing File Compression Methods (mp3, Youtube,SoundCloud, etc.)
- Discussing how these techniques can be used for sample recreations
- Explaining how these techniques can be used for sampling
- Addressing Audio Degradation (Youtube, SoundCloud, mp3)
In addition, gain understanding on file conversion methods and how each format degrades or preserves your audio (Youtube,SoundCloud, mp3) as Ken Lewis dissects this topic.
Afterwards, choose some of your favorite songs and use these analysis skills to investigate what sounds and methods were used in the production, recording, and mixing of those records and attempt to incorporate some of those techniques into your own tool kit. This exercise will broaden your abilities to hear details in other people’s work, increase your listening skills and make you a better engineer, mixer, or producer.
Skill Levels: All
Another great place to find awesome content from Ken Lewis is on his YouTube channel, Mixing Night. Ken hosts free semi-monthly livestreams with real time sprint mixes, demonstrations, special guests, and more. Register here for the next event to join in the fun!
Learn how to mix, record and produce music from Ken Lewis, as he shares the real world techniques used to make world-class, hit records based on his 25+ years of industry experience. Ken’s credits include work with BTS, Kanye West, Bruno Mars, Drake, Future, FUN., Mark Ronson, Ariana Grande and countless others.