Miking Live Drums
Learn how to mic the drum kit properly for recording drums in the studio as Ken Lewis and his session drummer, Dylan Wissing (Eminem, Drake, Alicia Keys, Kanye), guide you through the process.
You will learn:
- Which microphone to use for each drum
- How to place each mic for optimal recording
- How and why to isolate the sounds of each drum and cymbal
- What distance should be between each microphone and the drum head
- How to record drums if you only have 1 mic, 2 mics, 3 or more
- Several pro tips from decades of experience
This is a MUST HAVE video for drummers, engineers and producers who need to record live drums.
- Run Time: 29 minutes
- Skill Level: Beginner / Intermediate
- Genre: ALL
Be sure to check out the companion series, Recording Drums Course, which takes you through tuning and prepping your drum kit piece by piece, and check out Ken’s other recording, mixing and production tutorials and bundles.
Another great place to find awesome free content from Ken Lewis is on his YouTube channel, Mixing Night. Ken hosts free semi-monthly livestreams with real time sprint mixes, demonstrations, special guests, and more. Register here for the next event to join in the fun!
Learn how to mix, record and produce music from Ken Lewis, as he shares the real world techniques used to make world-class, hit records based on his 25+ years of industry experience. Ken’s credits include work with BTS, Kanye West, Bruno Mars, Drake, Future, FUN., Mark Ronson, Ariana Grande and countless others.