Mixing Home Recordings – Indie Rock Edition
Learn how to mix home recordings…CORRECTLY.
Discover the secrets to mixing at home and creating a professional sounding mix as Ken Lewis utilizes the song “Nothing I Could Do,” by NYC indie rockers DON’T BELIEVE IN GHOSTS, that was completely recorded and mixed in a home recording studio, using consumer gear. Listen to the band’s final mix, then watch, hear, and learn as Ken does a complete mix of his own, from faders down to the mastered mix bus, explaining every plugin setting, fader movement, and mix decision he makes.
Along the way, gain insights into topics including:
- Mixing lead vocals and layered backing vocals
- Mixing live drums
- Triggering drum samples from live drums
- Fattening up live bass guitar
- Utilizing amp sims on direct recorded guitars
- Adding effects to guitars (tap delays, chorusing, stereo-izing, compression, EQ, etc)
- Mixing synthesizers and keys
- Creating effective transition elements
- The HAAS Effect
- Automating vocal delays
- Mixing strategy and approach, what to listen for
- Finishing the Mix Bus and achieving mastered Volume
Now try your own mix with the full audio session provided in the download (Consolidated Audio Stems for any DAW, plus Ken’s Pro Tools sessions).
Tools the band used to record this song:
- Vocals – Studio Projects C1 mic (street price $150) into an Apogee Duet Mic Pre (under $200 used)
- Guitars and bass recorded direct without amps into the Apogee Duet
- Drums recorded in a home basement
- Originally mixed in the box with the Apogee Duet and Pro Tools
This tutorial was launched in conjunction with a mixing contest in June 2016. If you would like to hear the winning entries for both the Hobbyist Amateurs and the Studio Warriors, check them out here on the ASO Mixing Contest SoundCloud page.
- Skill Level: Beginner / Intermediate
- Run time: 110 minutes
Another great place to find awesome content from Ken Lewis is on his YouTube channel, Mixing Night. Ken hosts free semi-monthly livestreams with real time sprint mixes, demonstrations, special guests, and more. Register here for the next event to join in the fun!
Learn how to mix, record and produce music from Ken Lewis, as he shares the real world techniques used to make world-class, hit records based on his 25+ years of industry experience. Ken’s credits include work with BTS, Kanye West, Bruno Mars, Drake, Future, FUN., Mark Ronson, Ariana Grande and countless others.