Mixing Live Instruments – Quirky Pop Song
Learn how to mix live instruments with this really fun pop song played by live musicians! Watch as Ken Lewis takes you through a full mix, from start to finish, of the song “Tangerine” by artist MELLA, filled with real instruments like glockenspiels, vibraphone, toy piano, live drums and percussion, bass guitar, electric and acoustic guitars, and piano, and of course, lead vocals, ad libs, and stacked backing harmony vocals. This one has it all.
Uncover essential mixing techniques as Ken starts with mixing the drums, fattening up the bass guitar, making the electric guitars cut through, putting the “grand” in piano, and the sparkle into the glockenspiel, vibraphone and toy piano. Observe Ken as he shows you how to mix the lead vocals perfectly on top of the song while blending the harmony vocals into the background.
Learn more about:
- Using compression and limiting to shape sounds
- Utilizing Pultecs and graphic EQ’s to sculpt character and depth
- Enhancing the natural sounds of the instruments and the rooms they were recorded in
- Adding effects to glue each individual recorded instrument into the sound of a band playing live together
- Layering sounds with panning and steep EQ cuts and boosts, control levels with limiters
- Finishing the mix bus using tape saturation, EQ, compression, and final limiting
Watch the free intro video of the first 8 minutes of the lesson, which demonstrates exactly what’s included in this epic, 2 hour lesson. You get the full audio session included with your purchase so you can create your own mix of this juicy gem on any digital audio workstation (DAW), and compare your results to Ken’s. Practice the techniques Ken demonstrates with this professional, high-level recording. Repeat as needed and develop your mix skills further.
Please note: The plugins used in this lesson range from lots of stock plugins, Slate F-GX, WAVES, UAD, Massey, Brainworx, Aphex, SoundToys, IK, Kush, Softube, Bombfactory, and more.
“Tangerine” is brilliantly produced by Aman Sahi, LittleBlondie.com.
Watch the Mella “Tangerine” music video and hear Ken’s final mix of the song here on YouTube!
- Run Time: 1 hour 58 minutes
- Skill Level: Intermediate / Advanced
- Genre: Pop / Live Instruments
- **PRO TOOLS SESSION and Stems for ANY DAW INCLUDED **
Another great place to find awesome content from Ken Lewis is on his YouTube channel, Mixing Night. Ken hosts free semi-monthly livestreams with real time sprint mixes, demonstrations, special guests, and more. Register here for the next event to join in the fun!
Learn how to mix, record and produce music from Ken Lewis, as he shares the real world techniques used to make world-class, hit records based on his 25+ years of industry experience. Ken’s credits include work with BTS, Kanye West, Bruno Mars, Drake, Future, FUN., Mark Ronson, Ariana Grande and countless others.