Mixing Trap Songs and Creating Trap Effects
Discover the techniques Ken Lewis has used making records for Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West, Rick Ross, Future, Lil Wayne, Maejor Ali w Justin Bieber and Juicy J, 2 Chainz, and many others in this deep, two hour tutorial on how to mix trap music and how to create common trap effects.
Watch and learn as Ken takes you through a complete trap mix, from faders down to a finished full song (including beat and vocals), using both stock and 3rd party plugins.
Learn, step-by-step, how to create many of the most common trap effects such as:
- Panning snare fills, crisp hi hats, enhanced claps, phase coherency
- Monstrous 808s that cut through small speakers
- Mixing rap vocals and ad libs
- Multiple effects to create lush ambient sounds, blasts, twinkles and more
- Using short delay lines to define drum tracks and spread vocals
- Panning and stereo widening effects on hit hats and background vocals
- Replacing kick drum sounds and making kicks knock
- Balancing multiple pads together
- Filter effects
- Mastering the mix bus
Then, gain insights into how to fix poorly recorded rap vocals and how to give them new life as Ken shows you standard and unorthodox techniques that will put you light years ahead of the game.
Watch the first 8 minutes of the tutorial for free and decide for yourself. Receive the full audio session with stems for any DAW as well as a pro tools session. Please note that the techniques taught can be used on ANY DAW!
Learn how to mix a trap song and practice creating your own trap effects and recreate the ones Ken teaches from the same mix session. Mix the song and compare your mix to Ken’s and see how you do!
- Run Time: 1 hour 59 minutes
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Genre: Trap / Hip Hop with vocals
- PRO TOOLS SESSION & STEMS for ANY DAW INCLUDED
Another great place to find awesome content from Ken Lewis is on his YouTube channel, Mixing Night. Ken hosts free semi-monthly livestreams with real time sprint mixes, demonstrations, special guests, and more. Register here for the next event to join in the fun!
The song and session “Big Bank” featured in this tutorial is produced, written, and performed by JaiDon Harrison at CG3 Audio. This song contains some strong language, so please be advised, but the song is fire and you’ll have a blast working on it and learning Ken’s mixing tricks.