Mono Stereo and Panning Explained
Discover how to increase your stereo knowledge and skills while learning how to avoid common, amateur mistakes. Watch as Ken Lewis answers 24 questions, in depth, with examples, seeking to de-mystify all things about the stereo field.
Some topics covered include:
- Common pan positions of instruments and vocals
- What sounds are most often mono or stereo
- Listening Quizzes
- M/S (Mid – Side) verses L / R (Left – Right)
- Stereo interleaved, multiple mono, and mono summed
- Stereo field explained – width and depth
- Stereo and mono effects, as well as, panning effects
- Auxes and when to use mono or stereo
- Panning completely explained
- Worst stereo mistakes and how to avoid them
- Mono vs. Stereo plugins – when to use what
- Mono sounds with stereo effects
- The HAAS Effect
- EQ’ing stereo tracks
Get all of this and much more in this 1 hour and 22 minute tutorial for beginner and intermediate engineers, mixers, producers, musicians and artists.
Also, included with this lesson is the Audio Session and stems for any DAW and a supplemental reference sheet on Mono, Stereo and Panning to use as a tool in your musical arsenal.
Another great place to find awesome content from Ken Lewis is on his YouTube channel, Mixing Night. Ken hosts free semi-monthly livestreams with real time sprint mixes, demonstrations, special guests, and more. Register here for the next event to join in the fun!
Learn how to mix, record and produce music from Ken Lewis, as he shares the real world techniques used to make world-class, hit records based on his 25+ years of industry experience. Ken’s credits include work with BTS, Kanye West, Bruno Mars, Drake, Future, FUN., Mark Ronson, Ariana Grande and countless others.